Nothing feels better than the smooth, baby soft touch of freshly waxed skin – it’s the reason you come back every 3-6 weeks. Ziba Beauty Artists are experts at removing unwanted body and facial hair (and brow shaping of course), but there are a few things you can do before and after your service to care for and prepare your skin. Make the most of your hair-free experience with these helpful tips:
Pre-Wax Skin Care
- If you can, arrive to your service with clean skin. While the aesthetician will clean the area before waxing, it’s always best (and appreciated) that your skin is clean and oil free.
- Stay away from retinol one week before your service. Retinol is a chemical exfoliator we love for its anti-aging powers. Waxing removes hair and a surface layer of dead skin cells. If the skin has already been exfoliated, waxing the new, thinner skin could cause more discomfort and irritation. Ouch! For the same reasons, getting a facial should be done after a waxing or several days before.
- Inform your aesthetician of any allergies you may have. Our wax is made from gentle, natural ingredients, which is safe for nearly all skin types. However to ensure the most hygienic treatment possible our Beauty Artists wear latex gloves during waxing services. Letting us know about allergies in advance, including latex, ensures you have the most comfortable and enjoyable experience.
Post Wax Skin Care
- Regardless of how often you wash, the hands are carriers of excess oil and dirt. As much as you’ll want to touch your smooth skin after your service, avoid the temptation for 24 hours. Similar to exfoliating, waxing removes the top layer of dead skin cells, which makes your pores a bit vulnerable.
- Avoid the sun for 24 hours. Freshly waxed skin is sensitive and more susceptible to burning, which is never a good thing. If you must be outside apply an oil-free sunscreen, or cover up in something light and loose.
- If you have sensitive skin, you might experience small bumps or a little breakout. Let your aesthetician know if you regularly experience this after waxing so they can utilize the best protocol for your skin. In general, avoid putting oils or makeup on the skin immediately following the service. If you must apply make-up clean your brushes! Unwashed make-up brushes are full of bacteria and can cause breakouts.